Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Work of our Hands

Hi! I'm Linnyt. I am a Christian and I believe that my talents are gifts from God to be shared with others. I have created this blog for anyone interested in hand work of any kind for the purpose of sharing our talents (whether a Christian or not).

I've been drawing, painting and sewing since I was about 5 years old. One thing I've seen in my years is an increase in the automation in the arts with computerized everything all designed to make the process as quick as possible. Out of that trend have come many new ways of expressing our artistic selves. The computer trend has also lead to a "fading away" of vintage hand work techniques. In many art arenas hand work is described as the "H" word. Many hate even the mention of hand work, seeing it as a huge waste of their creative time. I'm not suggesting the abolishment of any automated work. If I were I'd have created a snail mail newsletter. I use any method of preparation I can to get to the hand work. Our common lifestyles these days are so fast paced there's little time to create anything without the use of computers and machines. I love my software because it allows me time to get to what I love.

There is something to be said for quite contemplative time in creating a work of art "by hand". I think of it as meditation time. I organize my life while I'm working away with my hands. Oh, the problems I've solved while quitely working on a quilt or some piece of embroidery or something else! That's when I turn on my music or favorite audio book or TV and just work away.

This blog is for anyone who loves to make the world a more beautiful place with the work of their hands. Join me in discussing the work of our hands. Also, be sure to visit the website at https://sites.google.com/site/linnytcorp/

No comments:

Post a Comment